MaKey MaKey PicoBoard Scratch Trumpet

I have been programming an electronic trumpet in Scratch. I am using a MaKey MaKey and a PicoBoard for the hardware side of this project.

Here is the Scratch code I devised.


You can download the project from my Scratch projects page. 

Scratch reads the PicoBoard's sound sensor to determine if I am blowing on the microphone. For some notes, which use all open valves on the trumpet, I have added a fourth key that the MaKey MaKey reads. Additionally, the PicoBoard reads how hard I am blowing on the microphone, so Scratch will play a low B flat, an F, or a high B flat.

Here is the trumpet with the PicoBoard and MaKey MaKey hooked up to it.


On the back of the trumpet you can see how I have the copper tape pads mapped to the keys on the keyboard.


I built a second model with a piece of MDF and some metal nuts and bolts.








This has been a hard fun project. I am indebted to this Scratch forum post for helping me get my head around how to have Scratch read when I am pressing multiple keys.

Comments

Jaymes said…
This is wonderful. I hope you move beyond cardbaord prototype. It would be cool to make something with a similar form factor to a trumpet. Maybe with a coat hanger and paper mache? I would love to hear what it sounds like. And that is one old school PICO board!
Unknown said…
I know you did this project a while ago but, I was wondering if you built the project in Scratch 1.4 or 2.0 we are having issues working with the picoboard (spark fun not cricket) in 2.0 any thoughts?
Josh Burker said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josh Burker said…
Hey Jim, thanks for stopping by and posting!

Scratch 2 has the blocks for the PicoBoard and WeDo but they are not functional yet. I'm still using Scratch 1.4 until the physical computing gear comes online.

Have fun!